Chamber Choir Ireland and the Contemporary Music Centre announce Choral Sketches with composer Tarik O’Regan for February 2017.
Chamber Choir Ireland is the country’s flagship choral ensemble and national chamber choir under the internationally celebrated and multi-award-winning conductor Paul Hillier as Artistic Director. The Contemporary Music Centre is Ireland’s resource organisation for contemporary music, documenting, developing and promoting new music from Ireland.
In February 2017 Chamber Choir Ireland will perform the Irish premiere and tour of A Letter of Rights by Tarik O’Regan and librettist, Alice Goodman. With ‘Choral Sketches’, Chamber Choir Ireland and CMC will partner to present a unique professional development opportunity for composers who wish to develop their skills in writing choral music. They will be mentored from renowned composer Tarik O’Regan.
The purpose of the Choral Sketches initiative is to provide a creative and open environment for composers and to deepen their experience in writing for voices in a choral context.
The project is open to composers registered with the Contemporary Music Centre.
Please note there is no age restriction for applicants.
What happens in the Choral Sketches project ?
• A maximum of four composers will be selected to take part in the workshop from a submissions process.
• The selected composers will receive online mentoring from Tarik O’Regan at intervals from November 2016 – February 2017 leading to the development of a series of compositional sketches for a new choral work.
• These sketches will be the focus of a public workshop led by Tarik O’Regan with Chamber Choir Ireland and artistic director, Paul Hillier on the evening of the 24 February 2017 in Dublin.
• Each composer shall be allocated c.40 minutes to workshop their choral sketches with input from Tarik, Paul and the singers.
• This public workshop will also include an insightful interview with librettist, Alice Goodman, on her writing process as a librettist.
• Chamber Choir Ireland will make provision to present performance readings of the final works from the Choral Sketches project in Autumn 2017.
Would you like to apply for the Choral Sketches project?
Chamber Choir Ireland and the Contemporary Music Centre are now seeking expressions of interest in this initiative. In order to make a submission, composers must submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Monday 17 October 2016 (please put Choral Sketches in the subject heading):
– Two recent completed scores in pdf-format and a link to a recording of a performance or electronic realisation of each score.
– C.V. to include details of past performances.
– A short paragraph outlining your reasons for wanting to engage with this initiative.
Composers chosen to participate will be informed during the week beginning 24 October 2017. Participating composers may apply for CMC travel bursaries. choral_sketches_call.pdf