Chamber Choir Ireland’s new professional training programme for emerging choral singers
Chamber Choir Ireland is the country’s premiere professional choral ensemble and national chamber choir, known internationally for its unique approach to creative commissioning, recording and programming.
The CCI Studio caters to aspiring choral singers in the early stages of building their careers,
who wish to elevate their musicianship and technique to the standard expected by a professional choral ensemble.
Over three intensive weekends in 2023/24, singers will engage in bespoke professional development and performance opportunities, giving them the practical experience they need to grow as professionals and progress in their choral careers.
The first of these weekends will be open to 22 applicants, granting them the chance to:
- participate in specialist vocal workshops
- receive guidance and mentorship from seasoned Chamber Choir Ireland singers
- work with CCI Studio Conductor, Eamonn Dougan (The Sixteen, Britten Sinfonia Voices)
8 of these singers will be selected to continue onto the next stage of the CCI Studio programme in 2024,
benefitting from individual vocal coaching, side-by-side rehearsals, professional development sessions, and paid performance opportunities with Chamber Choir Ireland.
CCI Studio Singers will have the privilege of working with Grammy-winning Artistic Director, Paul Hillier, and may also have the chance to work with international Guest Conductors featured in CCI’s 2024 line-up.
Those not selected for this stage will receive constructive feedback and advice to support their continued development. They will remain eligible to apply again in the following year.
We want to ensure that the CCI Studio is as open, inclusive, and accessible as possible.
The full CCI Studio experience will be offered at no expense to the singers selected. All tuition and mentoring costs will be covered, associated performance engagements will be paid, and a travel and subsistence stipend will be offered where appropriate.
CCI is committed to equal opportunities, access and diversity, and we welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and ethnicities.
Please highlight any relevant support or accessibility requirements in your application, so that we can do our best to accommodate them. Such requirements will not have an impact on the success of your application.
How to apply
Applications should be submitted by email to [email protected] with the subject line ‘CCI Studio application’, and must include:
- A cover letter (no longer than 1 side of an A4 page) explaining why you would like to be involved in the CCI Studio and how you think it might benefit you
- A single page C.V. detailing your relevant music education and choral experience
- A short recording of you performing solo repertoire in either the English or Irish language, either with keyboard accompaniment or unaccompanied
- A reference from a teacher or choir director with whom you have worked, including a fair and accurate assessment of your sight-reading and general musicianship
Deadline for applications: Friday 25th August 2023
Applicants will be notified by Friday 15th September 2023.
This programme is open to emerging singers, born or based on the Island of Ireland, who are hoping to build a professional career in choral music. This includes singers who are:
- Born in Ireland or Northern Ireland
- Permanently resident in Ireland or Northern Ireland
- Studying in Ireland or Northern Ireland at the time of the programme
Successful applicants will likely be pursuing or have completed third level training, and be in the early stages of developing a professional career.
17-19 November 2023: Introductory Weekend
Two further intensive weekends will be scheduled between January-June 2024.