Choral groups throughout the island of Ireland have the opportunity to be part of an exciting new collaboration between Chamber Choir Ireland, Sing Ireland, and Poetry Ireland. We’re delighted to announce a new, large-scale community choirs project involving the commissioning of new music and text for adult choirs culminating in a gala performance in early 2019. Full information (from Sing Ireland) is available below.
Community Choirs Project 2017 – 2019
The Sing Ireland (SI), in partnership with Chamber Choir Ireland (CCI) and Poetry Ireland (PI) plan to produce a large-scale, all-island performance project for adult choirs to culminate in a gala performance in the first half of 2019. The project is now seeking four provincial choirs to work on the creation of a newly commissioned work (made possible through generous funding from the Arts Council of Ireland) by Elaine Agnew to texts from All Through the Night curated by Marie Heaney as well as newly created texts by an Irish poet. SI and CCI will work together to bring four project choirs together along with a later call for a massed choir of singers to form the final choral performance component of the project.
What will the performance be?
A 25-30 minute work for massed choirs, chamber choir (CCI) and two pianos has been commissioned from composer, Elaine Agnew. There will most likely be some other choral works alongside this commissioned work. The final performance will take place at the National Concert Hall, Dublin in the first half of 2019.
Who will take part?
The project is now calling for expressions of interest from choirs interested in taking part as provincial project choirs (four choirs in total). There will also be a later call for a larger massed choir made up of voices from other interested choirs. The project will select four suitable provincial project choirs that are chosen for their artistic suitability to the project as well as their geographic location. The commitment for the four provincial choirs will be more involved as they will be partaking in the creation of the work.
What is involved?
Choirs who wish to get involved with the project will undertake to sing as part of the live performance in early 2019. Rehearsals/workshops of the commissioned piece and other works will be as follows:
1) Workshop with Elaine Agnew and a poet to take place from September 2017 – April 2018 (2 workshops)
2) Rehearsals of the resulting commissioned work at the choir’s own rehearsal venue from September – December 2018
3) A workshop/rehearsal with singers from Chamber Choir Ireland from September – December 2018. The time that would be allocated to rehearse during a choir’s own rehearsals would be left to the discretion of each choir.
Choirs will be selected for the project with various factors in mind including:
· Geographic location – the project will seek to represent all four provinces on the island of Ireland
· Artistic – each choir’s experience and ability
· Availability – the choir’s availability to commit to the project
· Make-up of the choir – the commission is being scored for SATB voices and so the balance of voice types is important. Male Voice or Female Voice ensembles are also invited to apply and a balance will be created in the selection of choirs.
A selection panel may be formed following receipt of expressions of interest.
Should your choir be interested in taking part please complete the below form and return to Sing Ireland by email or post by Friday, 22nd September, 2017. Should you have any queries please call the Sing Ireland office.
University Concert Hall
University of Limerick
Ph: 061 234823